Read This On Our Main Website: https://psoec.com/a-teenagers-sublime-homage-to-the-organ-donor-who-saved-his-life/?feed_id=1106&_unique_id=61b046c187f34
[ad_1]

On New Year's Day 2022, Branden Dever will do what he has at all times dreamed of since childhood: trip a rose parade float. It might be a victory journey for the 16-year-old and his mom Eden to rejoice the organ donor who saved his life.

"My favorite T-shirt says, 'The greatest hero I've never met is the organ donor who saved my son's life.' I can never thank the donor's family enough for giving Branden the greatest gift ever - a second chance in life, ”says Eden Dever.
Branden never had many health problems growing up. Even when he was diagnosed with kidney disease in May 2020 and examined for a kidney transplant in August 2020, he was tired but didn't feel sick.
Branden had always had a few eye problems, but it was never a worrying thing. That all changed when he went for a routine eye exam and the doctor recommended that Edward Wood, MD, a retinal specialist be at. to seek out Stanford Child Health. Dr. Wood suspected retinal dystrophy and recommended Branden for genetic testing.
“We found out that I had a nephronophthisis that not only affects the eyes but also the kidneys,” says Branden. "It was so sudden as a result of I felt good."
Nephronophthisis is caused by some mutated or missing genes during fetal development. It can affect the eyes, kidneys, liver, nerves, brain, and skeleton, and occurs in only 9 out of 8.3 million births in the United States.
Short waiting for the promise of a new life
Things moved quickly after the San Jose, California family learned the news. at Pediatric Nephrology at Stanford Children's Health, Brandens Doctors Paul Grimm, MD, and Cynthia Wong, MD, put him on peritoneal dialysis for end-stage kidney disease, which he did at home for nine to twelve hours each night. Sometimes the pain was almost unbearable. He was right on that too Kidney donor Waiting record. It was solely two months earlier than they received the decision that they'd discovered a donor.
“I remember exactly what I was doing when I got the call. I had a lot of emotions - happy, excited, scared, nervous, hopeful ... but most of all, grateful and blessed. But at the same time, my heart ached for the family who had lost a loved one, ”says Eden.
Eden was very relieved that it was laborious to look at Branden dialysis and witness his ache.
“I wish I could have swapped with him,” she provides. “His faith, his strength and his love of life through all of this - and his resilience to develop further - make him so special. He's my only child and I'm so proud of him. "
Amy Gallo, MD, surgical director Kidney transplant in childrenHe performed Branden's transplant, which went as planned. During his entire care process, the family felt that they were in good hands, not only medically, but also emotionally and spiritually.
"There was so much love, kindness and compassion everywhere - from the nurses, doctors, Social worker, and the whole Transplant care team. We are so lucky to live near Stanford Children's Health and have the chance that Branden will receive the best possible care, ”says Eden.
Almost a year has passed since Branden's kidney transplant. He feels better, but he still gets tired at times and he experiences challenges with his eyes. However, these setbacks do not prevent him from expressing sheer gratitude that he is alive.
“I am much more aware that anything can happen in the blink of an eye, so I value life a lot more,” says Branden. "I'm so grateful to have a second likelihood."
Flowers and floats in honor of the organ donor
The Rose Parade begins at 8 a.m. in Pasadena and can journey 5 miles alongside Colorado Boulevard because it has for 130 years. The Dever household has at all times dreamed of attending the Rose Parade in particular person they usually look ahead to it. You'll be joined by dozens of household and buddies to cheer on Branden. He and 17 different donors will drive alongside the organ donors on the Donate Life cart.
“I've always seen the wagons and wondered how you get on one and what it's like to stand on top and see everything from this perspective. I've always wanted to do that and now I have the chance, ”says Branden. “It's going to be such a unique and cool experience. I can barely wait for it!"
Gerri James, Manager and coordinator before the transplant of the Kidney transplant in children Program, Branden nominated for the Donate Life car, which will be covered with flowers every inch. The car draws attention to the life-saving power of organ, eye and tissue donation.
“When it came to recommending a donor, I immediately thought of Branden. He is an outstanding young man. He always came to the clinic with a smile on his face and is still positive. I wanted to give him this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, "says James.
Branden embodies this year's motto of the rose parade: “Dream. Believe. Afford."
“I had to dream that I would be better,” says Branden. "I had to believe in myself and the people at Stanford who helped me, and believe that a donor would come up and give me a selfless gift."

While Branden did not have a precise reply on find out how to obtain, anybody who meets this charming, clever teenager is aware of that he'll obtain a fantastic deal. He's already endured powerful information, had a transplant and is actually on the forefront.
[ad_2]
Read This On Our Main Website: https://psoec.com/a-teenagers-sublime-homage-to-the-organ-donor-who-saved-his-life/?feed_id=1106&_unique_id=61b046c187f34
Comments
Post a Comment